Johan Carle joined Mannheimer Swartling in 1993 after serving in the Stockholm District Court. He was elected partner in 1999 and is the chairman of the firm's EU and competition law practice group. He primarily advises major Scandinavian and international companies.
He has substantial experience of issues relating to merger control, cartels, abuse of a dominant position, state aid and public procurement. Johan Carle was Mannheimer Swartling's resident partner in Brussels for almost a decade and maintains strong relations with competition authorities and courts both at national and EU levels.
He is lauded by clients for his "knowledge of business and business people's needs, as well as hands-on advice and commercial awareness", widely considered to be a "true professional with high integrity".
He is consistently ranked as a leading individual in the most prominent legal directories, such as Legal 500, Chambers and Who's Who Legal. He was the recipient two years running of the ILO Client Choice Award.
- Partner, Mannheimer Swartling, 1999-
- Lecturer in competition law, Stockholm University, 2018-
- Associate, Mannheimer Swartling, 1993-1998
- Court clerk at Stockholm District Court, 1991-1993
- LL.M. (University of Amsterdam, 1992)
- LL.M. (Uppsala University, 1991)
- Johan Carle has for several years been ranked as one of Sweden’s leading competition lawyers by, for example, Chambers Global 2018, The International Who’s Who of Competition Lawyers 2018, PLC Global Counsel 2018 and Global Competition Review 2018. He has also been granted the Client Choice Award in the field of Competition Law three times.
- Johan Carle has received Legal 500s award Hall of Fame, after more than seven consecutive years of being mentioned as a leading competition lawyer.
- Who’s Who Legal has recommended Johan Carle as a competition lawyer since 2006, and has named him as Thought Leader in Competition 2018.
- Mannheimer Swartling’s EU and Competition practice group has for many years been ranked as one Sweden’s foremost by, for example, Chambers 2018 and Legal 500 2018, and is also ranked as one of the 100 leading competition law groups in the world.
- Swedish Bar Association, 1997