Johan Carle began his career at Mannheimer Swartling in 1993, after finishing his legal clerkship at the Stockholm District Court. He has been a partner in the firm since 1999, and heads the EU and Competition practice group.
For more than a decade, Johan also headed the firm's office in Brussels, giving him the skills to deal effectively with both Swedish and European competition authorities and courts.
Johan regularly advises larger Scandinavian and international companies. He has extensive experience in matters relating to merger control, cartels, abuse of dominance, state aid and public procurement.
Clients praise Johan for his "knowledge of business and business people's needs, as well as hands-on advice and commercial awareness" and describe him as a "true professional with high integrity". Clients have also emphasised that "Johan Carle is better at stakeholder management than any lawyer I know." And that "Johan always has his client's best interest in mind, and he is a smart communicator."
Johan is consistently ranked as a leader in EU and competition law by all well-established ranking institutes such as Chambers, Legal 500, GCR and Who's Who Legal. On three occasions, he has also been awarded the Client Choice Award.
- Partner, Mannheimer Swartling, 1999-
- Lecturer in competition law, Stockholm University, 2018-
- Associate, Mannheimer Swartling, 1993-1998
- Court clerk at Stockholm District Court, 1991-1993
- LL.M. (University of Amsterdam, 1992)
- LL.M. (Uppsala University, 1991)
- For several years, Johan Carle has been ranked as one of Sweden's leading lawyers within the field of competition law, see for example: Chambers, The International Who's Who of Competition Lawyers, PLC Global Counsel and Global Competition Review. He has also been awarded the Client Choice Award in competition law on three occasions.
- Johan has received the Legal 500s Hall of Fame award after being appointed as leading competition law attorney for more than seven years in a row.
- Who’s Who Legal has long recommended Johan Carle as a competition law attorney, and has appointed him Thought Leader in Competition.
- Mannheimer Swartling's EU and competition law group is continuously ranked as one of the leading groups in Sweden within their field of expertise, see for example Chambers and Legal 500. The group is also ranked as one of the world's 100 leading competition law groups.
- Swedish Bar Association, 1997