Fredrik Sjövall is part of Mannheimer Swartling's EU and Competition Law team. He advises and represents Swedish and international corporations as well as public authorities. Fredrik is an expert in EU procedural law and an author of the Swedish language commentary to the Brussels I-regulation and related EU law acts. He joined Mannheimer Swartling after serving with the Swedish courts; he has also served as Agent of the Swedish Government at the EU courts.
The core part of Fredrik's practice consists of representing clients in all kinds of matters in relation to Swedish and European competition authorities and courts, including cartel investigations, merger clearance and matters relating to abuses of dominant position. He has wide-ranging experience as counsel in court, including as lead counsel in a majority of the biggest competition law cases in Swedish courts in recent years. Fredrik also acts as counsel in litigation and arbitration in contractual or damages disputes relating to competition law in the form of e.g. exclusivities, non-competes and price cooperation.
In addition to his competition law practice, Fredrik appears in commercial cases in court and before arbitral tribunals. He also frequently acts in regulatory investigations and probes and in the administrative courts in the fields of financial, electricity, telecom and postal regulation.
- Partner, Mannheimer Swartling, 2019-
- Associate, Mannheimer Swartling, 2010-2019
- Lecturer, The Swedish Bar Association, 2015-
- Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 2014
- Law Clerk, 2009-2010
- Law Clerk, Svea Court of Appeal, 2008-2009
- District Court Service, 2006-2008
- DESS Droit et globalisation économique (Université de Paris-I, Panthéon-Sorbonne/Sciences-Po, 2006)
- LL.M. (University of Cambridge, 2005)
- LL.M. (Lund University, 2004)
- University of London, Queen Mary & Westfield College (International Banking & Finance Law 2003)
- De europeiska civilprocessförordningarna. En kommentar, Norstedts juridik 2018
- Se men inte röra – om gränserna för gryningsräder i JT, 2016/17 s. 246
- Bryssel och skiljeförfarande – ett relationsdrama i fyra akter med Sverige i publiken, SvJT, 2015
- Bevisteman i teori och praktik – en generationsfråga?, Svea hovrätt 400 år, 2014
- Is procedure really neutral? Report from the 2012 IBA Arbitration Day, Arbitration News, 2012
- Anmälan: Notariebrottmål, SvJT, 2012
- Om vådan av lagstiftning genom förarbeten – en kommentar till artikeln Inverkandekrav vid skiljedomsklander, SvJT, 2011
- Anmälan: Law as a Moral Idea, SvJT, 2010
- Who's Who Legal Competition: Future Leaders (2018)
- Swedish Association Bar, 2013