Hans Hammarbäck chairs Mannheimer Swartling’s Insurance practice group. With more than 25 years’ experience advising on commercial disputes, Hans has specialised in contentious insurance and reinsurance related matters and also has extensive experience from M&A related insurance disputes. He has litigated and arbitrated numerous insurance and reinsurance disputes in Sweden and other jurisdictions. He also regularly assists clients in drafting insurance terms and conditions and in regulatory and other insurance related matters. His practice includes acting for insureds, insurers and intermediaries, in many cases involving cross-border issues.
Hans is mentioned for his work in Who’s Who Legal and the Guide to the World's Leading Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers.
- Partner, Mannheimer Swartling, 1997-
- Visiting Lawyer, Slaughter and May, London, 1994
- Associate, Mannheimer Swartling, 1990-1996
- Associate, Carl Swartling Advokatbyrå, 1990
- District Court Service, 1987-1990
- LL.M. (Uppsala University, 1987)
- Hans Hammarbäck is listed in Who’s Who Legal: Insurance & Reinsurance and is referred to as a “specialist” and a “truly skilled” adviser both in Sweden and internationally, (Who’s Who Legal, 2016).
- Hans Hammarbäck is also described as “exceptional ability to debate complex legal issues”, (Legal 500, 2015).
- Clients, which include Swedish as well as multinational insurance and reinsurance companies, commend Hans’ “unique competence, experience and capability to analyse and manage difficult negotiations” adding: “ He not only considers the purely legal aspects, but also applies his in-depth knowledge of insurance wordings and claims-adjusting practices.” (ILO Client Choice, 2015).
- Others have asserted that he is “experienced and knowledgeable” (Chambers Europe, 2014) and “the best there is when it comes to negotiation and litigation” (Legal 500, 2014).
- “[he] has enormous experience across a broad spectrum of disputes, with notable expertise in liability, insurance, M&A and environment cases.” (Chambers Global, 2013).
- Clients are impressed with his “cost-effective service and ability to see our overall settlement picture.” (Chambers Global, 2010).
- “Brings a wealth of experience to the table”, and clients value his “thorough, structured and helpful approach”, (Chambers Global, 2009).Insurance litigator Hans Hammarbäck “has an astute mind, and combines impressive attention to detail with commercial focus”, (Legal 500, 2009).
- Swedish Bar Association, 1994
- International Bar Association (Arbitration Committee, Insurance Committee)
- Swedish Arbitration Association
- AIDA (Association Internationale de Droit des Assurances)
- The Swedish Insurance Society
- Swedish Association for Contractors and Consultancy Law
- Member of ICC Sweden commission on Financial Services and Insurance