Hans Hammarbäck chairs Mannheimer Swartling’s Insurance practice group and is a partner in the firm's Dispute Resolution practice group. Hans is a highly respected authority within the fields of insurance and reinsurance and has more than 30 years’ experience advising on commercial disputes, Hans has specialised in contentious insurance and reinsurance related matters and also has extensive experience from M&A related insurance disputes. He has litigated and arbitrated countless insurance and reinsurance disputes in Sweden and other jurisdictions. He also regularly assists clients in drafting insurance terms and conditions and in regulatory and other insurance related matters. His practice includes acting for insureds, insurers and intermediaries, in many cases involving cross-border and international issues.
Hans is mentioned for his work in Who’s Who Legal and the Guide to the World's Leading Insurance & Reinsurance Lawyers.
- Partner, Mannheimer Swartling, 1997-
- Visiting Lawyer, Slaughter and May, London, 1994
- Associate, Mannheimer Swartling, 1990-1996
- Associate, Carl Swartling Advokatbyrå, 1990
- District Court Service, 1987-1990
- LL.M. (Uppsala University, 1987)
- Hans Hammarbäck is praised as "a skilful lawyer" and noted for his "knowledge of insurance contract law and ability to advocate in that field." (Chambers Europe, 2019).
- In 2018 Hans Hammarbäck was appointed as a leading individual in the field of Insurance by Legal 500. He is also described as 'simply outstanding' (Legal 500, 2018) and clients note that he "knows his stuff and is a very nice person to work with" (Chambers Europe, 2018).
- Hans Hammarbäck is commended for providing "excellent, to-the-point legal advice with the client's commercial interests in focus" (ILO Client Choice 2017).
- Hans Hammarbäck is listed in Who’s Who Legal: Insurance & Reinsurance and is referred to as a “specialist” and a “truly skilled” adviser both in Sweden and internationally, (Who’s Who Legal, 2016). In 2017 he was nominated as one of the world's leading practitioners in the field of Insurance & Reinsurance by Who's Who Legal.
- Clients appreciate that "he is always trying to find a solution and lead us through the process in a clear and concise way" (Chambers Europe 2016). He is further praised for his abilities in litigations: "He is tough-spoken. He listens to our message and to the clients." (Chambers Europe 2016).
- In 2015 Hans Hammarbäck was noted for his “exceptional ability to debate complex legal issues”, (Legal 500, 2015) and commended for being a "very good, fairly all-round business lawyer, who definitely knows a lot about insurance law" (Chambers Europe, 2015).
- Clients, which include Swedish as well as multinational insurance and reinsurance companies, commend Hans’ “unique competence, experience and capability to analyse and manage difficult negotiations” adding: “ He not only considers the purely legal aspects, but also applies his in-depth knowledge of insurance wordings and claims-adjusting practices.” (ILO Client Choice, 2015).
- Others have asserted that he is “experienced and knowledgeable” (Chambers Europe, 2014) and “the best there is when it comes to negotiation and litigation” (Legal 500, 2014).
- "Hans Hammarbäck has enormous experience across a broad spectrum of disputes, with notable expertise in liability, insurance, M&A and environment cases.” (Chambers Global, 2013).
- Hans Hammarbäck is also praised for his "brilliant ability to establish a strategy for [the clients'] entire case from the outset" (Chambers Europe 2012).
- Clients are impressed with his “cost-effective service and ability to see our overall settlement picture.” (Chambers Global, 2010).
- “Hans Hammarbäck brings a wealth of experience to the table”, and clients value his “thorough, structured and helpful approach”, (Chambers Global, 2009).Insurance litigator Hans Hammarbäck “has an astute mind, and combines impressive attention to detail with commercial focus”, (Legal 500, 2009).
- Swedish Bar Association, 1994
- International Bar Association (Arbitration Committee, Insurance Committee)
- Swedish Arbitration Association
- AIDA (Association Internationale de Droit des Assurances)
- The Swedish Insurance Society
- Swedish Association for Contractors and Consultancy Law
- Member of ICC Sweden commission on Financial Services and Insurance