Alexander Foerster is a member of Mannheimer Swartling’s practice group for Dispute Resolution and based in Stockholm. He is qualified as Swedish Advokat and German Rechtsanwalt and specializes in cross border dispute resolutions. He represents clients in domestic and international litigation and arbitration proceedings in Sweden and Germany, including disputes on delivery, manufacturing and turn-key contracts as well corporate, energy and investment disputes. Alexander is contact partner for the firm’s clients from the German speaking contries (German Desk).
Alexander has been involved in a large number of international arbitrations under SCC, DIS, ICC, ICSID and Swiss Rules and serves as arbitrator (Chairman and Co-arbitrator) in ad hoc and institutional proceedings. He also worked for more than a decade with banking and finance matters and is still retained to represent clients in complex post M&A disputes. He is acknowledged by Chambers & Partners Global Guide 2015 as a Foreign Expert on Sweden. Alexander regularly teaches international arbitration at the Universities of Frankfurt and Stockholm and has co-authored Mannheimer Swartling’s Guide to Commercial Dispute Resolution.
Alexander has served for more than 15 years as a member of the board of the Swedish Chamber of Commerce in Germany, from 2002-2012 as its president. He was instrumental in building up the firm’s German practice and was based in Frankfurt for more than 20 years.
- Partner, Mannheimer Swartling, 1996-
- Mannheimer Swartling Frankfurt Office, 1991-2013
- Associate and Rechtsanwalt, Mannheimer Swartling, 1990-1996
- Associate, Mannheimer Zetterlöf Advokatbyrå, 1988-1990
- Counsel in domestic and international litigation and arbitration proceedings; mainly post M&A, Construction and Banking/Finance related disputes, German and Swedish contract, construction and commercial law.
- Assignments as Arbitrator (party appointed and chairman) in various international arbitrations under DIS, SCC, ICC and Swiss Rules
- LL.M. (Stockholm University, 1989)
- M.C.L (Stockholm University, 1988)
- Albertus Magnus Universität Köln, Universität Bonn and Université de Lausanne, Switzerland, Staatsexamen, -1986
Speaking engagement and selected articles
- Arbitration Law, University of Applied Sciences Frankfurt am Main, 2007-
- Dispute Resolution, Institute for Law and Finance Spring Course
- Summer School of International Dispute Resolution, Humboldt University Berlin, 2004-
- Arbitration Master (ICAL) of Frankfurt University of Applied Science and Stockholm University, 2013-
- Examination team of Sveriges Advokatsamfund (Censor)
- Selected by peers for inclusion in Best Lawyers in Germany in the field of arbitration (2015, 2016).
- European Experts 2012 (Corporate and M&A
- Chambers 2013-2016 recommended Dispute Resolution Foreign Expert
- JUVE Handbuch recommended litigation and arbitration
2008: „… Insbesondere Alexander Foerster hat sich hier einen Namen gemacht“
2010: „… kompetent, lösungsorientiert, unkompliziert“ ..
2014: „..persönlich wie fachlich hoch qualifiziert“
- Swedish Bar Association
- Frankfurt am Main Bar
- Deutscher Anwaltsverein
- Deutsch-Nordischer Juristenvereinigung
- International Bar Association (Arbitration Section)
- DIS Deutsche Institution für Schiedsgerichtsbarkeit
- ASA Association Suisse d’Arbitrage
- Swedish Arbitration Association
- Former President of the Swedish Chamber of Commerce in Germany